Since most veterans receive “veteran” educational benefits, our post would like to assist the children of veterans who do not receive any such funds. The American Legion Post feels that one of its main roles in the veterans' lives is to provide support, not only while on active duty, but after returning to civilian life. Some of that support is to their family. Post 287’s desire it to “give back” in some way a thank-you for your service to our country by assisting your children in their pursuit of continuing education.
The American Legion Post typically provides two $500 scholarships that can be used for registration fees or books. The scholarship is paid to your Central Piedmont account?at the beginning of the fall semester.
- parent must be either an Active Duty or Honorable Discharged veteran
- registered as a full-time student and carry a full load during the fall semester
- may reapply for the scholarship for the next fall semester
- Get an information package and application from the financial aid office at Central Piedmont.
- Fill out the Post 287 Scholarship application form (PDF)?along with a letter as requested in the application.
- Mail your application and letter to the Post Adjutant:
American Legion Post 287
4709 Gaynelle Drive
Charlotte, North Carolina 28215
- The American Legion Post 287 Scholarship Committee will collect all applications during the months of July and August.
- Selections will be based on?applications and the letters. Judging will be performed independently by members of the committee who will meet and, by consensus, select the recipients.
Recipients will be notified by phone or mail. If you are not selected, you are encouraged to resubmit the following summer.